Monday, October 28, 2013

The Fort McMurray Fall Hustle Race- A Recap

I took part in the Fort McMurray fall hustle race this past Saturday and what a great experience. As you know, I love to run and do so almost daily, so 6km (5.8 to be exact); didn't seem like a big deal to me. However, holy hills! One after the other almost continuously throughout the entire race. It was brutal and I will even admit having to walk 1/2 of the way up a couple of them. It felt great though and it was an awesome added challenge :)

The event is the first one put off by a new running group within the community and I was very pleased with the organization, communication and the entire event actually. The community got involved with prize donations, there was a DJ and although it was only +2 degrees Celsius, everyone seemed happy to run.



There were a couple of different options in the race. Hardcore (5.8km) or Insanity (11.6km) and there was also a kids race. I love it when kids have the opportunity to race too and it's just so darn cute!

I'm a competitive person by nature so one of my tricks when racing is to start out at a pace I can maintain throughout the race and then to pick people as I go along to speed up and pass. For instance, if there is someone not that far ahead of me; I will speed up until I pass them, go back to my normal pace until I see someone else and do the same thing and so on. It's just something I do and have always done.

The 5.8km hardcore option took me 35 minutes to complete. A 5km run generally takes me between 18 & 20 minutes so with all the hills added in here that's not too bad. The air was crisp but it didn't take long to warm up and before I knew it; I was thinking what a perfect temperature it was to run in. Being that it was in the trails, the birds were chirping and it was so peaceful that at one point I swear the birds were cheering us on...lol

I'm happy to have taken part in this event, even more pleased that we have a group within the community organizing races again and I certainly look forward to the next.

**I know my hat is too big; but it was cold**

What did you do this weekend? Anyone else take part in a race?

Until next time,







No comments:

Post a Comment