Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Spartan Super Race- A Recap

"I am Spartan; Aroo, Aroo, Aroo!!" This was the chant heard and repeated by some 2500 participants at the Spartan Super race in Red Deer, Alberta on Saturday.


What an exhilarating and thrilling experience to have participated in an event like this and with 15km of rugged, narrow, sometimes steep terrain as well as some 23 obstacles in the path it was no easy feat.

I paced myself well throughout the course and I can honestly say that I had no real issues with the run or with completing any of the obstacles except the rope climb at the end. I was disappointed that I didn't get this one as it was one of my biggest goals but I just couldn't get a grip on the rope and the hole was filled with mud and water that I could hardly jump out of. C'est la vie! Burpees it is but i'll get it next year.




There was also a place in the course where we had to swim and my initial reaction was panic because I can't swim. Ahhhh! But with the help of my friend Joanne (participating with me) and a little talking to myself, plus the lifejacket provided, I made it across with no issues. Any water and swimming were by far my biggest fears but I did it!!

Amongst the many obstacles, there were tire flips, weighted carries and sandbag carries up hill. There were what were classified as women vs men tires, carries and sandbags. Personally, I used the men equipment. #1 because I wanted to prove to myself that I could and #2 because I could hear Andrew, my trainer, in my head saying come on Melissa you can do the heavy stuff. You got this!! I didn't wanted to feel like I had cheated myself at the end and wonder if I could of used the heavier equipment instead. While I was waiting to use a tire, a guy comes up behind me and asks if I knew there were women's ones and I said "I know but I'm good with the big one". I got a "wow, good job and a thumbs up as I moved on". Girl Power!




The event was very well organized, the people and volunteers were great and very encouraging. The weather turned out to be just the right temperature for running and the rain held off.

This is my first race of this kind and I've fallen in love. My new goal is to become a Spartan Trifecta tribe member- someone who completes all three races; The Spartan Sprint, Super and Beast in the same year. I was nervous because I wasn't sure what to expect but it was such an awarding feeling to have completed it, to have taken part in such a great team sport where everyone wants to see everyone else succeed. Fellow Spartans helping other Spartans; it feels like a family where no one gets left behind and everyone feels like a winner.



As the adrenaline wears off, the mud gets washed away and you go back to real life; the feeling of pure accomplishment and pride stays with you.

A shout out to my friend Joanne for participating with me and for doing a fabulous job. Way to go Jo!!!



Check out http://www.spartan.com for more information on events near you.

"Spartan Race. You'll know at the finish line"!

Until next time,


 



2 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved the Spartan Super! Glad you did too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved every minute of it. It's adrenaline pumping. I'd like to do them all and become a trifecta member ;)

    ReplyDelete