Tuesday, February 5, 2013

How Do You Do It?

There are 2 questions that I get asked A LOT since I started my fitness journey.

1) How do you do it? In other words, how do you get your ass to the gym everyday and eat so clean?
2) How do I get abs?

If only I had a dollar for the times I have heard; 'how do you do it; how do you stay motivated?' Then they say; 'I couldn't eat that way or workout that much'. 

Well, Why not? Why couldn’t you?

Is it hard? Of course it's hard. Do I always want to go to the gym and train? No, not always. Are there times when I would prefer to order pizza over chicken and veggies? Definitely but what do I do? I stick to my plan, I train and train hard, I push. Why? Because although it’s friggin’ hard; it’s so damn worth it to feel this good, this healthy and this strong.  

You want to know how I do it? It's not rocket science. I just get up each day and decide that I want this, that I want to be healthy and fit. I put the effort in.

I work hard, I sweat A LOT, I lift heavy but more importantly I have the will, the drive, and the determination to keep moving and eat healthy; that’s it!

Excuses are, just that, excuses! Anyone can do it. I am no different you. Bottom line, if you want something bad enough you will work your ass off to get it!

The answer to question 2 is NOT, as some might expect, thousands of crunches. The answer is- you can't just do a specific set of exercises to achieve abs. #1 thing to remember; abs are made in the kitchen so if you want abs, eat clean.



You can't just spot reduce one or two specific areas of your body. You can't just zone in on abs or thighs, etc. Bringing out muscle definition is achieved through a decrease in body fat and therefore, until your body fat drops you will not see significant muscle definition anywhere. 

The key-you want abs? Eat healthy food.

The answers to both of these are achievable for all of you. But, as mentioned, nothing worth having comes easily; put in the work, be patient and you WILL see results.

You can do it!



4 comments:

  1. I struggle with the fact I used to be obese (250lbs at 5'6) and now I am at approx. 20% body fat at 132lbs and I have stretch marks and loose areas that I am finding impossible to tighten up! Makes me lose patience and motivation. How can I overcome someone I am not anymore? How do I not fail?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica.
      That's a tough one. I find it really hard to overcome that mentality of still feeling like you are in your old body and that the new one doesn't belong to you....I wrote a post quite awhile ago now called 'fat girl syndrome'....lol; which say exactly that-- being stuck in your old mind set even though you are a totally different package on the outside. Keep working at it, stay positive and look at how far you have come and how much better you feel, the amount of energy you have. Stay out of the past and look forward to the future. Keep smiling and enjoy :) hard work, dedication it pays off.

      Delete
  2. I can relate to Jessica, very much so. I read your 'fat girl syndrome' post. Love it. It is so true. I do the same thing when trying on clothes and especially looking at negative things about my body instead of the progress that has been made. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa. It is a difficult adjustment. I am slowly learning to have a more positive outlook on my body, to not beat myself up every time I slip and to take gratification and pride in the progress I have made. It takes awhile but eventually we will get there and learn to really love our bodies for what they are; a work in progress. I am always training mine really hard....lol, I think it hates me or really, really secretly loves me :)

      Delete