Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Overindulging then feeling Guilty

I hate to admit it but I still feel paranoid and guilty every time I overindulge. I mean my body feels gross after, horrible in fact but do I really need to beat myself up over it?

I'll explain. Saturday night there was a change in plans and instead of heading to the gym, Kevin decided to take me out for that birthday supper. You know the one we missed on the actual day because I was in full competition mode. We had a great time, enjoyed each other's company and I enjoyed my meal and dessert.


*Chocolate Explosion dessert from Boston Pizza*

However, all the while I was thinking I shouldn't be eating this, I shouldn't have dessert and so on. So why is it that I still beat myself up, even after all that I have accomplished. I mean I KNOW for a fact that a little treat once in awhile is not going to do me any harm, so why? Is there really any need for me to be so paranoid?

I think that there are several reasons why I do this to myself:
1. I am scared that I will end up where I started and all this hard work will be wasted
2. I am scared because I don't know if I will be able to maintain and right now we are just playing around with calories, etc to see what works best for me
3. My body is strange and reacts differently sometimes than Andrew and I expect it to

But I also believe that I have to teach myself not to. I have to teach myself to enjoy those little indulgences as much as I enjoy my healthy carbs because really I don't allow myself those so called 'bad' things very often at all.



I guess the point of this blog is to both help me get past my fear and guilt of enjoying a little indulgence once in awhile and to help me learn to enjoy those times in life when I allow myself the luxury of a little treat. I DO NOT need to beat myself up over it.

After all, it's good for me to enjoy things like dessert once in awhile; especially for my birthday.

So make sure, you allow yourself treats from time to time and make sure you enjoy them. Don't spend any time after beating yourself up; just get back on track and move on; knowing that you enjoyed an incredible dessert and had fun doing so.




3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean I knew I had an appointment at the gym, and we had just successfully completed a project, that's usually followed by a lot of pizza and pop. I thought for sure that my trainer was going to frown on me but.... Nope just said it was one of those days and its no biggie. I felt so guilty doing it but, I thought after, hey I did enjoy it and I worked out that much harder that session and felt good again after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am learning to not beat myself up, take it for what it is and enjoy it!

      Delete